Wednesday, September 15, 2004

House Church

This is my first blog which finds me reading the book "House Church Networks" by Larry Krieder. I read this quote today by C.T. Studd:
"I do not wish to live 'neath sound of church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell."
That speaks volumes to me!!

Krieder then says, "The main purpose for every house church must be to rescue people from the brink of hell. Otherwise, the house church becomes a social club without any power."

I don't agree with his thinking here. Making evangelism the primary purpose of house church may keep it from becoming a social club but it may also keep it from koinonia and other important "body life" dynamics.

He continues......

"The Lord gives us power to be witnesses, not to sit around and enjoy nice comfortable "bless-me" meetings."

This smacks of sarcasm I understand what he is saying here but something about it does not sit right with me. It is a "knowledge" statement, not a "life" statement.

But, C.T. Studd's quote still resonates.....

2 Comments:

At September 16, 2004 , Blogger Kat said...

I just realized what you are saying here! You are right-- the House Church (no Church, in fact) is only about evangelism. The quote about wanting to run a rescue shop a yard from hell is inspiring, yet not all are called to this expression of ministry. We need all the flavors. But I get the drift of your comments--all of them.

 
At September 17, 2004 , Blogger GaryQ said...

You are right Kat....and when we expect others to emphasis and operate the same giftings and callings we have, we become guilty of the same thing Peter did when Jesus had to tell him to mind his own business. Peter was concerned that John would have to go through the same things as Him. That was not a good question to ask Jesus.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home